Posted under Photography
More adventures in photographic paper!
Today I packed up a bag with a bunch of cameras and trekked across the tundra next door to me to take some pictures. I had 3 pinhole cameras that I had made out of tins, the Pindiana camera, and some other misc. cameras. Took pics with the photo paper and using the ortho lith film, and then headed back to see what I could do with them.
For a change, and to see if it was possible, I set up a darkroom in the bathroom and poured my chems into trays. Yes, trays! Not tanks! I am rocking it, tray style. I can’t get a 100% light tight seal in my bathroom, but I figured, what the heck, why not try it? And since I shot a piece of 8×10 paper, I had to tray develop it, since I don’t have a tank big enough.
My tin photo paper negatives came out okay. Everything I developed today seemed like it was really low contrast. I made some heinous developing mistakes, namely, letting the photo paper float on top of the developer instead of being submersed in it. But it was dark, and I couldn’t see (I don’t have a good location for the safelight in the bathroom, so it was sitting on the floor next to the toilet. That’s how classy I am). Anyway, here’s some of the pinhole pictures. I adjusted the levels in Photoshop to compensate for the low contrastiness.
This is from a pasta tin, and I moved the camera after I opened up the pinhole. Whoops.
Do you like the big developer blob at the bottom? Really, that’s an embarrassingly bad picture. I’d like to just learn from it and move on with my life.
The picture from the short and stout teddy bear cookie tin turned out slightly better:
I like the distortion on this one, I just need to develop it better.
I used one of the pinhole clusters that Travis drilled out for me the other day for the 8×10 Japanese biscuit tin camera. It was 5 tiny pinholes really close together. I wanted a zone plate-ish look, but the end result just looks sloppy to me, not wonderfully soft.
So, I’ll just replace the pinhole cluster with a .5mm pinhole instead. No worries.
I also took a few pictures with the ortho lith film. One was taken with the Exposed pinhole camera, and the other with my new Ibsor camera. The Ibsor pic didn’t come out. I think it was a developing fail. And maybe too long of an exposure. I don’t know. Let’s not talk about it anymore. The shot with the Exposed camera, a 45 second exposure on an overcast, but bright snowy day, actually came out quite well.
Well, the part of the film that made it into the developer came out really well, anyway. I cropped the blank part of the film out. I developed the ortho film in the paper developer, and it seemed to go just fine.
After I developed the pinhole pics, I turned to trying to make contact prints again. Following wheehamx‘s advice, I got a 15 watt frosted bulb and stuck it in a clip light, clipped it to my shower curtain, and shone it at the ceiling. Then I was able to do a test strip in 2 second increments, and what do you know? I actually got shades of gray this time! Woot!
That’s a pretty accurate representation of what the contact print looked like, in terms of contrast. It’s just doesn’t have the punch that I want. The black isn’t black enough.
It could be a couple of different things. I’m sure my temps are too low on my developer by a few degrees, so that could be it. Or, it’s possible enough light was getting in through cracks in bathroom door to fog the paper.
Either way, my plan for the next round of paper developing is to go back to doing it in a tank. Also, I’m going to throw in a little more of the paper developer concentrate, as apparently that can alter your contrast.
I know one thing, though – I’m getting really sick of taking pictures of snow.