Posted under Uncategorized
I started constructing the 4×5 pinhole camera today. I’m more or less following the instructions here, with a few modifications. Since the face of the Autographic 2A that I’m using for its shutter mechanism needs to be recessed in a few spots, I’m going to make the front out of two pieces of foamcore instead of one. Also, I’m going to cover the whole thing in some really thin (1/8″ thick?) birch plywood we’ve had in the garage for a million years. That’s to make it a little more sturdy and nicer looking. Travis suggested that we finish the edges with skiny brass strips and corner pieces, which I think will look nifty. Also, I’m considering making some type of lid for the back to cover the back of the film holder. I think that will look nicer than using Velcro strips, and maybe increase light tightness, although I don’t really foresee there being any huge light leakage problem. Of course, me saying that just about guarantees that there will be.
I have all of the foamcore pieces cut out and about half of them glued together, but I haven’t started cutting the wood yet. That’ll probably wait until Travis gets back home to help. In the meantime, I’m messing with some other camera stuff. I’m considering building another 4×5 pinhole camera tomorrow, if I can find something decent to use for the shutter. I really like dealing with a proper shutter on pinholes as opposed to moving a piece of cardboard up and down.
Travis came home from work last night with a Brownie Starmite Camera for me. I didn’t take a picture of it, because I assumed I had already owned and photographed one in the past (I sold a bunch of 127 cameras on ebay earlier this year), but no, apparently this is an entirely different camera. It looks like the progeny of these two:
The script around the camera looks identical to the Starflash, except it reads Starmite. The camera is gray, like the Starluxe, and has the viewfinder in the upper right corner, but the upper left corner has a bulging round spot for a flash, like a smaller version of the Starflash. It has a strap (yay!) and the film advance seems to work properly. More importantly, it’s loaded with a roll of Kodacolor X film. A coworker of Travis’ spotted it at a garage sale for 50 cents and picked it up for me, which is pretty awesome. So, I’ll finish taking the rest of the photos and try developing it next time I get out the color chems again.
I got into my roll of 70mm Konica film and spooled up some 116 film. I just did the one roll for now. I apparently have one 116 camera and one 616 camera that are functional, and the 116 camera currently has a roll of film in it, so I’ll have to wait until after I finish up that roll to try out the Konica.
I’ve had some cameras with film in them hanging around for a while because the cameras have issues. So, tonight I’ve been yanking the film out of the problem cameras and putting them into docile cameras. I’m almost done. I’ve got a roll of film in my 127 stereographic camera that went weird on me, so I need to deal with that but I think that’s the last one.
Uploaded some wonky film. Here’s the redscale pinhole stuff I mentioned the other day. Like I said, I wasn’t real impressed. It just looks red. Woo.
And here’s some pictures from a roll of Efke 100 127 film I shot with the awesome Revere Eyematic. For some reason, almost all of the pictures came out really overexposed. I must have screwed something up with the camera settings. I scanned them all in as color in order to get more contrast.
Although I did kind of dig this pic being all low contrasty:
This one, taken indoors, was the only pic that looked like it got exposed correctly:
Not too sure what’s causing the weird lines at the top of the photos. I suspect it has something to do with my developing film reel, though.